Saturday, September 24, 2011

US/Canada Travels for 24 September 2011

US/Canada Travels for 24 September 2011

Kentucky Illinois Missouri Texas Hawaii

The family that I stayed with while volunteering for the Padre Island
National Seashore, Corpus Christi, Texas, the dad has a farm in the
Good Old Boy country just north of Elizabethtown, Kentucky. So for the
next few days it was Geocaching, no showers, pit bulls, and bloody
mules braying all night long.

Finally made a break for it and headed for Land Between the Lakes in
southwest Kentucky. Unfortunately I was only able to spend a night
there as getting into Missouri was a priority where the Goatmobile
will be stored for the next 2-3 months before I am back in mid
December.

The Goatmobile now resides in with friends I met through my travels in
the Pacific working for Fish and Wildlife Service. The wife of sorts
consider herself the ultimate Green Machine growing chicks from the
shell to eating size while spreading chicken scat throughout her
neighbors back yard and the counties drinking water system. She in her
own little way has increased the number of Green Toyota Prius on the
road by selling her previous one then buying another. Of course the
only sane one is the husband who has managed to secure a job with The
Nature Conservancy as a consultant traveling to Berlin, Beijing, and
Japan pushing plastic water bottles from Wal-Mart.

Flying from St. Louis, Missouri to Corpus Christi, Texas was next
where for the next few days it was laying in the sun, checking on my
volunteer position for next year and drinking cheap wine, very cheap
wine…… My bag did not make the trip with me and it wasn't for another
12 hrs that the bloody airline found it. One airline one bag……………..!

The time had come that I had to head home to sunny Hawaii looking at
12 hrs flying time. Some how in my thinking that the airlines still
offered free meals and movies for flights over 3 hours. Was I ever
mistaken and of course the seats have moved closer and smaller for the
enjoyment of all.

As I sit now in Hawaii surrounded by naked dancing hula dancers,
drinking Mai tai's by the pitcher full, palm trees swaying in the
distance and the cool ocean breeze
blowing off the ocean……..I would rather be in North Dakota fighting
the Black flies, stale beer, a ten days of no showers and me last box
of wine then the easy life.

I end this trip with new friends, routes taken, Geocaching numbers
up, and the anticipation of next year's travels.

Aloha and mahalo for this year, keep the rubber down…………..

The Greynomad

No comments:

Post a Comment