Minnesota – Wisconsin – Michigan –Indiana - Ohio
Minnesota, the state of 10,000 lakes, multiply that by 1000 and you
have the number of biting Horse flies and mosquitoes. And to add
insult to the already hot summer, the weather bureau has declared this
Minnesota summer as the most humid of any recorded.
Camp Ripley located mid state, a National Guard Faculty, that dates
back to the US Civil war (1840's). Farming is the major product in the
area especially hybrid corn.
And there is a Wal-Mart 5 miles away to keep everyone happy. Spent
going in all directions Geocaching with fine weather to match.
Left Camp Ripley and headed east into Wisconsin, the land of cheese,
big busty women, and cows that walk backwards. The first night was
spent in a vacant spot in the Chequamegon National Forest where the
chipmunks provided the local entertainment. Next day was touring
Madeline Island, Lake Superior, Geocaching, and staying away from as
many tourist as possible. Exploring the island was relative easy as
there are only 2 roads and enough dirt roads to make it fairly
interesting. There are 2 campsites on island but you best plan on
making reservations 6 months out if you plan on staying there over the
summer months.
Getting back off island and heading for another National Forest
campsite for the night was in the plans. Unfortunately the campsite
was shutdown for repairs but finding a way around the barricade was a
no brainier and the price was right.
Next morning it's over the border into Michigan following Route 28
through the Ottawa National Forest heading to Big Bay Point
Lighthouse. The GPS had me take a turn that got me into a maze of dirt
roads that even the GPS could not understand where we were. As long as
I continued heading northeast I was bound to hit either Lake Superior
or civilization. The township of Big Bay it was and another Geocache
under the belt. Thinking that I would find a dirt road off the shore
of the lake I continued heading north. I next came across a road block
and 2 gentlemen that made very clear to me that I was not going any
further and I best turn around. Being that I was in a very agreeable
mood, I hastily turned around and headed south.
The night was spent just north of Marquette before I continued east on
Route 28 through Hiawatha National Forest then south on 123 crossing
the Mackinac Bridge.
We are now on Route 75 to Grayling where I pull into Camp Grayling
National Guard base for the next 5 days. Geocaching for the next 4
days is on the menu is all directions. Price of petrol is $3.77 per
gallon where 15 miles away its 3.52 per, you figure except for ripping
off the locals and the price of food is just as bad.
In the process of scientific studies I have found out, especially in
Minnesota and Wisconsin, that if you expose your lower anatomy,
especially men, in the wilds to take a long drop every deer/Horse fly
and mosquito from miles around will present themselves to your
backside. Here you are holding onto the tree with your right hand, TP
in your left and you are suffering the bites of Mother Nature's
gudgeons of the forest.
We leave Camp Grayling and head east to spend the day with friends met
this past year at Padre Island as volunteers. Besides having the
heavies' rain of the year, lighting, thunder, and 40 mph winds, it was
just another wonderful day in Michigan.
Next morning its south to Colon, Michigan, the truck camper
manufacturer, for repairs the following day. The campsite for the
night is called Lucky Lucy Lake Camp Ground, right! Anyhow the people
at Palomino Camper Office were quick on the repairs and I was out of
the door by 0930 hrs.
South it was on Route 66 through Indiana, the worst was getting around
Fort Wayne. I must of hit it just right for construction, detours, and
non-functioning traffic lights and just stuck in traffic period.
Finally I was south of the city crossing the state line into Ohio and
a stop at Wright Patterson Air Force Base at their RV site.
Next month has me into Pennsylvania spending my time at a particular
organic farm, slave labor, cleaning 5000 lbs of onions for a new
additive for cleaning Porta Potties.
Stay safe, clean your coffee cup, put the TP in a reachable place and
have a nice day.
Aloha
The Greynomad
No comments:
Post a Comment