Wednesday, September 1, 2010

US/Canada Travels for 8.31.2010

Alaska, Yukon, British Columbia, Washington State

Alaska in 10 days, plus another wind shield and the pleasure of the visit. Of course going through Canadian Customs is always a pleasure especially when you declare 100 liters of wine for self-consumption. I will not even bother you with that wonderful ride from the Canadian Border south for 100 miles. They should really set it up as a carvenial ride, that way everyone has a very good idea just how miserable the road is. Then I have the bloody trip to Watson Lake before you can even think of going somewhere that means anything. But its okay as I sit here at the very southern end of Klune Lake, had 2 cups of Mom's wine and thinking of the bakery shop in Haines Junction tomorrow morning, fat pills to the max, life is good. What I forgot to mention was that it rained all night, wind blew and it was not a pleasant event getting everything together in the morn for the days trek.

First stop was the library at Whitehorse then another 450 kilometers to Watson Lake where I'll be turning south to Prince Rupert. Well we get to the junction for the southern turn and we find out that the road is closed to a raging forest fire that has already burned over 100,000 acres of land. It's the largest one burning in British Columbia right now. Being that it is late in the day and the fire marshal might let a convoy of vehicles go tomorrow morning if the fire is contained. We and there is a healthy group of people waiting to go south, will wait until morning before committing to the only route around the fire being it adds another 2 more days of travel. The following morning brings no relief and by all accounts I have 2 days of extra travel to get around this problem.

Did meet a retired US Army couple from Alabama waiting in line though as you had nothing to do but talk to people all day. The wife had shaved her head and has Obama on front with Sarah Palin tattooed on the back. The husband walks around a with a toupee, one foe each day of the week and a pony tail that is completely out of wack with the toupee's. From time to time you could hear them chant verses but its okay, they're retired……..

Not only does British Columbia provide great scenery, road construction, smoke from the forest fires but a gas bill that easily exceeds $250.00 getting around this road problem to Queen Charlotte Islands. I have never pushed the Goatmobile as hard as I did averaging 110 – 120 kilometers per hour for 2 ½ days to make the Saturday morning ferry to Queen Charlotte Islands. I made by 20 minutes pulling into Prince Rupert ferry terminal. Getting to the island is a 7- hour ride and if the ferry is ¼ full, consider it a busy day.

The first day was spent chasing Geochaches and as I got only 1/10 and the one I did find was last signed in 2006. Me thinks I am chasing ghosts of past Geocaches but I still have another 3 days here I just might up my find total to 2. If you come to the island try to bring as much food as possible as the prices will make you poor very quickly and as an after thought try not to buy food on the ferry either.
Queen Charlotte provided 2 days of sunshine after that it was overcast, rain and a very fresh growth of No-seeums (bugs) that where the worst I've seen. My hands and face looked if I had a bad case of smallpox but I keep forgetting that I was enjoying myself. Having had enough fun I left a day early and what amazed me was the number of people that come over with me originally where going back as early as I.

Off the ferry at Prince Rupert at 1800hrs, drive until midnight, sleep 2 hours, and then back on the road for another 3 hours before I crashed again. Spent a short stay at the library in Prince George before heading south with the State of Washington on the horizon. Heading south on route 97 pretty much humbug but once you pass the town of Clinton everything changes dramatically as you are now in the Cascade Mountains. Reminded me of going through Idaho with mountains on both sides of you. One of the nicest provincial parks to stay at is Lac le Jeune, no showers, but after 15 days who cares!

It is Washington the next day with petrol at just $3.00 a gallon, traffic, and attitudes on the road. That night found myself staying at the guest quarters on the US Naval Base Whidbey Island. A bed, hot shower, and 300-channel telly for $40.00 per night and you can just believe I reserved the room for 2 nights before I climb back into the Goatmobile.

The Goatmobile just crossed the 70,000-mile mark with 25,000 miles to date on this particular trip. We find ourselves heading for the Olympic National Forest then south along the Washington/Oregon/California coast.

Geocaching as "Na Kupuna", my handle, has gone over 350 found caches since April. If for any reason you would like to see where I've been go to the Geocaching web page and type in Na Kupuna. It will list all of the caches found through out the trip, enjoy.

The night was spent at Falls View National Forest campsite on route 101 after spending the day getting through Seattle and Olympia. Another primitive site which provides a loo and picnic table. From there its north to route 112 Geocaching as I travel. Ended up at Ozette, which is at the very end of the road with limited facilities but it does have potable water and flushable loos. The site has 2 boardwalk trails to the ocean both 3 miles in one direction. No wheel vehicles are allowed on the trails and didn't I try to convince them I should be allow otherwise. The park ranger just looked me in the eye, NO……….

My cooking has improved besides boiling water, I now take a can of chicken breast, drain the water, drop the contents into a fry pan and cook the chicken until it's a crispy brown. This along with the cuppa of black box wine has made the trip so much more enjoyable…………………..aloha
Norm
The Greynomad

No comments:

Post a Comment