Sunday, May 16, 2010

US/Canada travels for 17 May 2010

Hanover, Pennsylvania and at 0143 hrs it is 35 degrees and bloody cold.
Day time temps for the last 2 days has not gotten over 45 degrees and I am running around in shorts.

While here went Geocaching and found 3 sites. Again if you are interested on the sites that I find, go to www.geocaching.com and when I post the various finds, type in the number on the web page. Voila, you have a bit of history vice putting up with my stream of palaver (for those unfamiliar with this term, think BS).

The YMCA here in Hanover is one of the best I've seen Everything you could think of under the roof plus (2) 25 meter pools. One is heated to 87 degrees and the other to 83 degrees. Just a bit toooooooo warm to swim lapse in but the price is right.

The Goatmobile (Honda Element) had a major recall for the soft brakes, some even having the brake pedal going to the floor. This was taken care of at the Honda dealer while in Hanover.

I must remind you that the family that I was staying with at Hanover still run a chicken plucking farm. After plucking the feathers, the wife would whack the chickens in a way that would confirmed them as kosher. If she missed, the mother-in-law, in her motorize wheel chair, would chase the suckers and nail them with a pellet gun. It must be the northern latitudes that bring out the dark side of people or maybe not enough vitamin D.

Leaving Hanover, Pennsylvania for New Jersey is always a pleasure especially right after the farmer has laid in a fresh supply of manure on their fields. The smell has that particular clearing affect on your bit muddled brain cells. Into New Jersey it is and if you have never experience the New Jersey Turnpike, this is the main route for all traffic going and coming out of New York, the traffic is mind boggling.

Well after a bit I find my cousin, whom I haven't seen in 50 years. The last time I saw her she was still in diapers at the tender age of 7 and a pain. Now she is in her twilight years and still a pain, minus the diapers of course. Took a trip to the Sandy Hook National Park, where the oldest lighthouse in the US is and still functioning. They have bike trails, static displays, housing from the 1930-40's, museums, just a great place to visit during the off-season. (Facebook)

Next day, me cousin, the energize bunny, has us on the train to the Big Apple also known as New York City. Just about one hour plus by rail, then a quick ride on the subway. Up we come and our intentions were to see an exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art but the bloody line was two hours or more just to get in. Does this slow me cousin down, not by a long short. Its St Patrick's Church, Rockefeller Center and finally Times Square all with in 20 minutes walking distant. I was humbugging this originally but I would not have missed it for the world. Times Square is the epitome of digital kaleidoscope on the big screen. What a fantastic digital show and can you image what it is like at night. Not to be missed but recommend that you park outside the city and catch the train in. (Facebook)

5-13-2010 Has me leaving New Jersey for my brothers place in Connecticut. Its toll roads all of the way but more better you pay then spend another 2-3 hours running the back roads to save a dollar. Its the Garden State Parkway going north then crossing over the Hudson River via the Tappanzee Bridge. Next we catch the Merritt Parkway to the fair city of Fairfield, Connecticut where the brother of sorts lives. His fourth wife, from previous experience with me, has constructed a moat around the house armed with more fire power then the US Army. Why do I feel that my stay here will be short lived.

Did go Geocaching while here in Fairfield at the local park. It seems that every weekend, anyone that owns a 4 legged mutt has their dog in this park. Needless to say I did have success regardless of Fido. My brother's children were here for Mother's Day and mom was in her element with food for a hundred, noise, and first grand-daughter, all of 9 months, being the center of attention.

New Hampshire is my next stop before heading up route 1 along the state of Marine coast.

Since the 22Th of April I've been visiting old friends and relatives along the way. I've had more laughs then could be measured, drank more good scotch/wine with story's that will never be repeated and the good fellowship has made this part of the trip most memorable.

Aloha and mahalo to all.

Norm
The Greynomad

No comments:

Post a Comment