Las Vegas, - Tonopah – Winnemucca- Hines, Oregon
Leaving Las Vegas with a smile on my face knowing that I am getting out the city of sin, republicans and a depleted bank account. Heading North West across the state line into California where the state’s deficit exceeds 90% total of all the states in the US. Another fine example of the elected officials working together.
Death Valley it was and if my GPS is right we did hit a minus 246’ below sea level. Got to the last camp site around 1330 hrs and just knowing that I had another 3-4 hours of baking in the sun and 100 plus temperatures made me push onto Tonopah.
Tonopah is out in the middle of Nevada, its desert, mining and the biggest golden arches (McDonald’s) that I’ve seen yet. Of course this is my first night trying to sleep in my vehicle and I’ll look back on these initial days roughing it with fond memories at the amount of crap that I bought. But as I am towing the 60’ trailer behind with the popcorn machine, I have no worries. And does it get cold at night in the desert; I must have wrapped the sleeping bag around me 3 times over. But knowing that the wind was blowing 10-15 knots and the temp was down in the low 40’s(8 degrees Celsius) life was good in the Goatmobile.
The next morn it was rearranging all of the gear back in its proper order, a senior discounted cuppa at McDonalds and the open road north through the Great Basin.
With cruise control, the heater on, coffee in the big cuppa, flatulence to the max, can life get any better then this…! Try finding a radio station that wasn’t Christian or western while traveling through the Great Basin is impossible. What ever happen to Hip-hop??
Winnemucca was the next stop via every speed trap possible as you travel through the small mining towns going north. Believe me if you see the locals driving at the posted speed limit, you best follow their example before deputy dog nails you for speeding. The RV site was just outside of town and it gave me a chance to put the tent up in earnest. Six hours later and having a very heated conversation with myself, thy Taj Mahale was finally up. The snooker table fitted quite nicely in the corner along with plasma TV.
Next morning it was north again through the Great Basin up to the great town of Denio, which was out of gas and the nearest fuel was 80 miles away. Turning left on route 140 heading for the Sheldon NWR, next a turn for Hart Mountain NWR, which for the first 20 miles was a sealed road. After that it was 50 miles of good gravel, matter of fact once the turn was made from Denio the road was made for motorcyclist. The gravel was in excellent condition and the view going across Hart Mountain was outstanding. Once you were back on the sealed road your next stop was Frenchglen, population 12, for a cuppa and a quick visit to the deep drop (loo).
Finally reaching Hines, Oregon and staying with a family that I had met back in my Midway Atoll days. Six kids, 3 dogs, the wife who runs the Portland Mafia and last of all thy head of the household (not according to wife/kids) Mr. I can’t turn down desserts……
Malheur National Wildlife Refuge for the next couple of days.
Norm
The Greynomad
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment